Friday, June 8, 2012

Ask an Advisor


by Dana Myers

Our “Ask an Advisor” column allows UF advisors to share their viewpoint and experiences regarding advising or just life in general. We recently asked some advisors to respond to the following:  In light of much heaviness across the university related to the budget situation, can you share a couple of your favorite activities that help bring some levity and balance to your life?

Some of my favorite activities that help bring levity and balance to my life include focusing on the moment; staying active physically and intellectually; and spending time/laughing with friends, family, and colleagues.  Also, years ago, a student affairs professional told my first year experience class something I still remember:  MOOMBA, which stands for "My Only Obstacle Must Be Attitude.  [Note:  This picture was taken is honor of Dr. Albert Matheny, who is widely recognized for his bowtie-wearing habit!]  Greg Champion, Liberal Arts and Sciences

My life outside of work has gone to the dogs. I started volunteering with Phoenix Animal Rescue about a year ago. And now I spend my weekends helping with adoption events, reviewing adoption applications and arranging home visits. One night a week I take a Phoenix foster dog to obedience school so the dog can become more adoptable. I’m also training my own dogs to compete in agility trials. When I’m not hanging out with the dogs, I’m working on my PhD in Education Technology and watching the Rays play baseball. I love being busy and I especially love that I’m able to donate a little time to a cause I’m passionate about. Catherine Coe, Heavener School of Business

Advising a large number of students can sometimes be a little overwhelming, particularly during advance registration and with other administrative responsibilities. During the evening, I relax by reading an inspirational book or taking a walk in the park. While at work, I try to go outside during my lunch hour to get fresh air and enjoy a change of scenery.  Cynthia Blunt, Industrial and Systems Engineering

One of the activities I found that helps me cope with everything is yoga. It’s practice helps counteract all the sitting I do at work and has made me physically stronger, more flexible, and more peaceful. Also, I have a small dog that suffers from delusions of grandeur. She believes herself to be a Greyhound and races endlessly around the yard (and house) hurtling any obstacles in her path. She is quite entertaining and a good laugh always helps release pent up stress.
Jean Burns, Public Health and Health Professions

No comments:

Post a Comment