Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Advisor Spotlight: Wanda “College of Public Health, Health Professions, Nursing and Pharmacy” Washington

by Kari Ward

Hi Wanda!  Sorry about the name of this article, but I couldn’t resist.  Every time I think of you, I always think about how much fun it is hear you introducing yourself with this mile long title!  You’ve been a fixture in the UF advising community for a long time.  Still, I imagine there is a lot we don’t know about you.  Please tell us more about yourself, like where you’re from and how long you’ve worked at UF?

I was actually born in Gainesville, but my family moved to Miami when I was in 4th grade. After graduating from high school, I came back to Gainesville to attend the University of Florida.  I graduated with a degree in history in 1980 and earned a Master’s in Educational Leadership in 1998.  I can’t even begin to explain how much I love UF and Gator football!  I have worked at UF since 1987, beginning at the Marston Science Library and then moving on to be an Admission Officer before becoming an advisor.  I am an only child and, if you ever come to my house, I will show you the shrine erected to me by my mother.   

OK, I want to know more about this shrine.  And why did you major in history?
I am an only child and the shrine consists of pictures of me at various ages from nine months to adulthood, along with a Lladro figurine coincidentally named Wanda, grouped together in the living room.  I still get asked by people who have not been to my house in a while if the shrine is still up. I majored in history because, since childhood, I’ve enjoyed learning about historical figures and biographies are still my favorite reads.

What do you like most about your job? 
Interacting with the students and seeing them go from nervous freshmen at Preview to graduation gives me the greatest enjoyment in my career.  I love encouraging students to strive toward reaching their goals and not to settle for less. I encourage them to try some of the fun activities I didn’t do as an undergraduate, like studying abroad.  Something else that is great about my job is that I get to teach the pre-pharmacy First Year Florida class. Seeing so many of my former students exceling in pharmacy school is one of the coolest things about my job.

What do you like least about your job?
Having to explain to a student why they were denied admission to one of our majors.  Also dealing with parents who are trying to push their child into a major they clearly do not want and have no interest in.  I also get frustrated sometimes by students who I know can do better and choose not to.

Tell me a funny story about a student . . .
One of the funniest I remember is about a student who had been admitted to pharmacy school.  His mother actually pulled me aside because she wanted to know what type of clothes she should buy him.  When I realized she was serious, I suggested long pants and a couple of collared shirts.

Wow, I’ve can’t say I’ve ever been asked for wardrobe advice.  So, what is a typical day like for you, Wanda?
A typical day is seeing lots of students and answering lots of emails. Spring is particularly hectic because, in addition to appointments and emails, I have to review admission files and serve as an interviewer for pharmacy school admissions. I see a lot of students, but I am blessed to have colleagues in all of my colleges who help with advising and keep me sane!

What’s it like to work with nursing and pre-pharmacy majors? 
In addition to nursing and pharmacy students, I also advise public health and health professions students.  Most of my students are great to work with.  I enjoy them because most of them want to make a difference in the world and make it a better place.

We see you at UAC all the time.  Are you active in any other groups or committees?
I’m currently a member of the Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Committee and am the advisor for the College of Public Health and Health Professions Health Science Student Organization.

Tell us a little known fact about yourself.
When I lived in Gainesville, I went to P.K. Yonge and marched in the Gator Parade with my 3rd grade class.

What is your favorite TV show?  What kind of music do you like?
Anyone who is my friend on Facebook knows I am a notorious trash TV watcher.  If a show has “Real Housewives” in the title, I’m watching.  Watching trash TV is fun because it makes my very large family seem normal. Did I mention my mother had 21 brothers and sisters?  This probably explains why I am an only child.  Right now I am listening to Adele, Whitney, Lady Antebellum, and Pitbull on my iPod.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
My two favorite outside activities are reading and traveling.  I have been to Europe twice and am hopelessly in love with Paris. New Zealand is my goal for this summer

1 comment:

  1. Wanda was always one of my favorite travel buddies on the SUS tours. We could tell you some stories. But I promised that I wouldn't tell if she wouldn't tell, either. :-) ~Deb

    ReplyDelete