Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ask an Advisor

by Dana Myers

Our “Ask an Advisor” column allows UF advisors to share their viewpoint and experiences regarding advising or just life in general. We recently asked some advisors to answer the following questions:

1.       How do you regularly get to work?  (i.e., walk, bike, drive your car, carpool, bus, etc.)
2.       Have you ever considered a different mode of transportation? 
3.       What makes your trip to work enjoyable and/or productive? 


I typically drive to work.  I have only been living in Gainesville for the past few weeks, so I am still learning the best routes to get around.  I did check the bus system, but it seems overcrowded at this point.  Good music makes the commute bearable!  Dawn Shores, Tourism, Recreation & Sport Management, HHP

I drive my minivan after dropping off two of my three children at school. This is the only way for  me to get around, given the distance and need to cart my kids around.  Talking to them about their school day and then listening to the radio after I drop them off makes my trip to and from work more enjoyable.  Meggen Tucker Sixbey, Counseling & Wellness Center

I reside in Citra, which is five miles south of Micanopy, so the best mode of transportation for my daily 54-mile commute is to drive a gas efficient vehicle.  Recently, due to the rise in gas prices, I have considered going horseback down HWY 441; unfortunately, I don’t think  my orange decal would give me authorization to park the horse, thus,  I most likely would return to find a yellow ticket placed underneath the saddle.  My trip to work is very productive--I have been given an opportunity to receive a free workout. Yes, I’m blessed with the opportunity to walk half a mile every day from my sought after parking spot located in the garage across from the police department. This opportunity has allowed me to sweat off any stressful issues that I may have experienced prior to beginning my day. Henry Anderson, Fisher School of Accounting

I drive to work each day, though I will on occasion use the bus if I’m starting my day in the Union or if my car is in the shop. I did try carpooling when I first started working here but it was too inconvenient since there would be at least one day a week I would want to run errands or go to the store directly after work. The radio in my car broke five years ago so on my way to work I use the Voice Memos app on my IPhone to make a list of things I need to do for the day and I talk to friends and family on my way home (hands free!).   Rachel Nelson, CLAS

No comments:

Post a Comment