Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Advisor Spotlight: Derek Guffin, 2010-11 UF Advisor of the Year!

by Kari Ward


Derek Guffin, who just received the UF Advisor of the Year Award, has worked for the School of Business for the past four years.  Derek is known for his high energy and enthusiasm, for making Myers-Briggs the official language of the SB advising office, and for his wheatgrass cocktails.  The next time you see Derek, ask him to show you how he made Albert’s head move when he was UF’s mascot!

First, Derek, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m an ISJF who is passionate about many things, including listening to music, empowering students and friends however I can with the resources to help them reach their personal goals, and developing a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. My experiences as an undergraduate at UF made me fall in love with this institution and I am thankful to work for a university that has meant so much to me over the years.  Outside work I can be found at local festivals in the area, reading leadership books, and hanging out in a comfy lounge chair on my back porch enjoying the outdoors.

As an advisor, you’ve got some unique areas of interest.  Can you talk about that a little bit?

My main areas of interests as an advisor include career advising, developing effective teaching strategies, and applying the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator in my profession. One way I express these areas of interest include managing 20 part-time business students in the fall and spring who provide internship planning and career advising for other business majors (otherwise known as the Career and Academic Mentor program).  I also teach two courses during the year:  SLS 1102 Warrington Welcome (two sections) and GEB 3035 Effective Career Management.

Why did you decide to take on the additional role of “Preview Advisor”?

I am thankful for the opportunity to serve as a Preview Faculty advisor during the summer months.  I love the excitement eager freshmen bring with them to Preview, spending time with the energetic Preview staff and observing their creative ways to help freshmen, and advising alongside 40 Preview faculty who are at the top of their game in their respective fields.  The unique combinations of these factors make Preview an incredible, special experience . . . every summer!  

What do you like most about your job?

What I love most about my job is equipping students with the tools and resources necessary to meet their long term goals. It is a privilege to participate in the life journey of a student during their time in college and have the opportunity to speak truth into their life circumstances. From a project standpoint, the specific parts of the job I enjoy most include advising at freshmen orientation, marshaling our commencement ceremony, and teaching SLS 1102.

What do you like least about your job?

Drop/Add.  Enough said.

What’s it like to work with business majors?

Business majors are a unique flavor at the university.  They are self-motivated and hardworking, yet can come across as money hungry and closed-minded at times.  While sometimes BA majors do not appreciate the humanities and arts as much as other students, I do enjoy talking to them about what they do value, including ethics, entrepreneurship, finance, and developing a career in the evolving world of business. 

Tell us a little known fact about yourself.

A few random facts most people don’t know about me include that I ride a Kawasaki motorcycle and I used to be the mascot for the University of Florida, Albert the Alligator, when I was a student at UF. 

What is your favorite TV show (or movie, music, etc.)?

My favorite TV shows include Pardon the Interruption (ESPN) and American Idol (FOX).  I enjoy jamming out to most R&B and gospel music as well.

What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
Outside work I enjoy playing disc golf, hanging out by the pool, and playing basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment