Monday, October 15, 2012

Ask an Advisor



by Dana Myers

Our “Ask an Advisor” column allows UF advisors to share their viewpoint and experiences regarding advising or life in general. We recently asked some advisors to answer the following questions:  With the upcoming election, discussions of politics are everywhere.  Do you feel comfortable with, or even enjoy, discussing your political opinions?  If so, does it vary by context?  Would you ever discuss your political orientation with students?  If you don’t feel comfortable discussing your political opinions, would you mind telling us a bit about what makes you uncomfortable?

I am very comfortable with discussing all of my political opinions with my friends and colleagues and rather enjoy the discussions. However, if I get the feeling that a colleague is very sensitive or uncomfortable talking about his or her political opinions, then I will usually refrain from political discussions. I feel that political opinions are personal and I would not discuss political opinions with a student unless the student specifically asks my opinion.  Wanda Washington, Colleges of Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health and Health Professions

My husband and I are on opposite political sides and have learned to “agree to disagree,” so I rarely talk politics at home or work.  My top five StrengthsQuest values include Empathy and Harmony, so I tend to be of the “can’t we all just get along?” mentality!  In my First Year Florida class, we talk about the importance of taking civic responsibility and voting, but do not discuss specific parties or political hot topics.  Sarah Eberhart, College of Health & Human Performance
 

 Yes, I'm actually quite passionate about political issues and I feel very comfortable discussing them.  With students, however, I don't really think it's appropriate.  They will have plenty of time to form their own political opinions in college and as academic advisors I don't think it's our role to try to influence them.  Our Governor, on the other hand, is a different story. There's someone who could use my influence.  ;-)  Kevin Austin, Theatre and Dance, College of Fine Arts

Even though I coordinate this column, I’m going to go ahead and throw in my input on this one!  I find that I sometimes really enjoy listening to others express and debate their political opinions; however, I usually like to lay low in terms of disclosing my own opinions.  Not that I don’t necessarily want others to know what I think, but rather, I’ve found that when I do disclose (usually with close friends and family), arguments tend to ensue… and I can quickly get a bit too riled up!  So I’ve learned it’s better for me to sit back and try to learn from others’ discourse and keep my political opinions to myself.  I adhere to this with students as well, unless I’m specifically asked (which I never have been...).  Dana Myers, School of Art and Art History, College of Fine Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment