Monday, October 15, 2012

Advisor Spotlight: 2011-12 University of Florida Professional Advisor (and Pizza Maker) of the Year: Erica Byrnes

by Jill Lingard 
Erica Byrnes, Associate Director of Advising in the Heavener School of Business, was recognized as UF’s Professional Advisor of the Year last April.  Joann Mossa was named Faculty Advisor of the Year, and we hope to feature her in our next issue.  Given the favorable response to the ‘Inside the Advisors Studio’ interview with Albert Matheny at our Advising Conference this spring, I thought we’d take a similar approach with Erica and ask her some off-beat, ‘Lipton-esque’ style questions.   Editor’s note:  Erica was just honored at the NACADA national conference with an Outstanding Academic Advising Administrator’s award, as well!  Also, a special thanks to Jill for writing this article before her departure from UF!

What was your favorite subject in elementary school? 
I liked social studies, mainly because I really enjoyed learning about different places and cultures.  You didn’t ask this, but my worst subject by far was penmanship and I often got in trouble for talking in class.

Does anything stand out in your childhood that signaled a future career in higher ed?
Yes.  The Ninja Stick of Death.  When I was little, my brother (who’s four years younger than me) and I used to play ‘school.’  I was always the teacher and a strict disciplinarian.  When I asked him questions that he got wrong, I’d hit him on the wrist with a stick.  He nicknamed it ‘The Ninja Stick of Death’ and we both laughed about it later when we found it during a move.

Did you ever change your college major?
No, but I added a second one.  I had been interested in studying psychology since high school and never veered from that path; however, I took a philosophy course during my second term to meet a humanities requirement and LOVED it.  It was incredibly challenging, but it was a challenge that fascinated me.  I decided that studying philosophy would help develop the analytical side of my brain and it really has.  Score one for general education! 

Did you have a favorite college professor or mentor?
I interned in UF’s Counseling Center and had an incredible mentor there named LaTrelle Jackson.  She had this uncanny ability to be soft-spoken and firm at the same time and was gifted at delivering difficult news in the most growth-oriented way possible.  The wisdom she imparted is still very useful to me today.

How did you decide to get into this academic advising gig?
For years I was on a clinical psychology track, but a couple internships taught me that the medical setting and biological model were not a good fit for me…nor was working with younger kids or older adults.  When I reflected upon my UF Counseling Center work experiences, I realized that I really loved working with college students on the concerns typical to that age group…especially career development issues.  

What’s wrong with college students these days?   What’s right with them?
They lack accountability.  Many of them seem hard-wired to not understand causality.  They’ve grown up in a very sheltered culture where everyone wins an award.  As a result, they’re often uncomfortable feeling the whole range of normal human emotions because they’ve been protected from them their whole lives.  On the ‘What’s right?’ side, I’ve never seen a generation so motivated to pursue avenues they’re really passionate about and determined to change the world.  

You supervise a team of academic advisors in the Heavener School of Business.  What’s your advice to those who might aspire to this kind of position?  What are the keys to leading an advising team effectively?
Challenging a team of people to be their best starts with yourself, yet few of us in these roles ever receive formal management training.  So I’ve had to seek that out for myself, and am often drawn to books or podcasts about various higher ed/management issues.  I have a democratic management style—I like to generate lots of ideas and feedback from my team.  I believe we all have a ‘sphere of expertise’ and it’s my job to match those up as well as possible with the tasks and projects we have to perform.   I am also a big fan of setting goals, in all areas of my life….that really helps me keep on track. 

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I’d be a bread baker.  (For the next 20 minutes, Erica and I talk about the best bread we’ve ever eaten.)

What’s cooler—dogs or cats?
Dogs.  Cats aren’t as smart as dogs, at least not in our house.  I see our cat repeatedly catch her paw under one of the wheels of my chair.  Our dogs only did that one time.

Words and photo by Erica Brynes
You’re known in some circles as a fan of haiku.  What’s your favorite advising haiku?

Informal teaching
Lessons on college and life
Advisors make a difference

…and…

Emails are not texts
Rules apply
Grammar and spelling

I know you are a talented cook.  Describe the best dish you have ever prepared.
For the past year, I’ve been on a quest to invent the world’s most awesome pizza from scratch.  One of my favorites featured sweet potato mash, topped with sopresatta, chiffonade of Swiss chard, caramelized onions, and mozzarella.  I also make a mean chicken piccata.
Photo and pizza, by Erica Byrnes
Top 5 places you want to visit someday?
Seattle, Ireland, Argentina/Chile, New Zealand, and the western Caribbean.  Not necessarily in that order.  (Erica pulled up her ‘travel goals spreadsheet’ for this.  She’s definitely a goal setter!)

You’ve started a PhD program.  What’s up with that? 
I started UF’s PhD program in Mental Health Counseling this fall, with an emphasis on career development.  Years ago when I was starting my Master’s program, I was so certain I wanted to go straight through and earn a PhD then.  I remember a practicum supervisor telling me what a bad idea that was, and I did NOT want to hear that at the time.  She was so right.  The past decade of work experience has exposed me to so many elements of academic advising and student affairs.  It’s really helped shape my interests and now I come to this PhD program with a more fully informed sense of purpose and direction. 

Describe one of your pet peeves. 
Redundancy.  I don’t like to repeat myself.      

What’s the last book you read for enjoyment?
American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart.

What did it mean to you to be recognized as UF’s Advisor of the Year?
I am very grateful for the affirmation that what I do appears to be working.  

What are you going to spend your award money on? 
You’ll enjoy this, Jill—possibly a kayak!  Or maybe this scooter: 
http://rodem.es/lomolitio.html. We’re also remodeling our kitchen (to make more room for pizza).

No comments:

Post a Comment