Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Meet Dawn Shores, UF’s New Tourism, Recreation & Sport Management Advisor

Hi everyone!  I am a native of Florida, from the St. Petersburg/Clearwater area.  I attended USF in St. Petersburg for my BA in Interdisciplinary Social Sciences (Psychology and Anthropology).  While attending USF, I worked in the Counseling & Career Center.  Working on campus exposed me to higher education and motivated me to pursue a graduate degree at Bowling Green State University.  I received my MA in College Student Personnel from there in 2005.  My graduate assistantship was at Tiffin University (a small, private university in a town of ~8,000 people-- let’s just say “culture shock” for the first few months, but a great place) working mostly in advising and recruiting. Another highlight of my graduate experience was working for a summer at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.  It was a great experience to learn about the higher education system in the UK.

After graduating, I was hired by Tiffin.   Most of my time there was as Director of Undergraduate Admissions.  After deciding I wanted to get back to advising and student development, I accepted a position at Bowling Green as the Assistant Director of the Honors Program and I also worked in CLAS advising fine art students.  After surviving eight winters in the Midwest, I decided to return to Florida.  I really enjoy working in advising and was very interested in obtaining a position at a residential campus.  My job in Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management at UF is a great fit for my skills and interests.  I am enjoying working with my colleagues in our college and am looking forward to meeting more people on campus!

1 comment: