Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ask an Advisor

by Dana Meyers
Our “Ask an Advisor” column allows UF advisors to share their viewpoint and experiences regarding advising or just life in general. We recently asked some advisors to answer the following questions: Have you ever played a musical instrument of any sort? If so, what? Is there an instrument you wish you could play? What are you currently listening to (i.e., what’s on your i-pod, car radio, cd-player, etc.)?

Yes, I have played piano. It was lots of fun for me, especially during my high school years. I would have loved to learn how to play the violin. In my car I am listening to Jayz and U2! They performed at a concert in Australia this past fall when I visited as a part of Oprah’s Ultimate Adventure and I have absolutely loved them ever since! Liz Kazangu, Liberal Arts and Sciences

I have a guitar and really wish that I had more time to play it. Over the years, I have wanted to learn how to play the cello. It’s such an expressive instrument with a certain depth of emotion that I find irresistible. My iPod is always filled to the brim. Recent stuff in rotation: Grinderman “Grinderman 2,” Dead Weather “Sea of Cowards,” Bob Dylan “The Bootleg Series Vol 9: The Witmark Demos 1962-1964,” Gorillaz “Plastic Beach,” Morningwood “Diamonds and Studs,” Scissor Sisters “Night Work,” Arcade Fire “The Suburbs.” Andrew Wehle, Design, Construction, and Planning

Does playing 1st chair recorder in the third grade count? Sadly, I do not play an instrument; the ability to whistle even escapes me (laughing permitted). Fortunately, I live vicariously through my daughter who is learning to play the piano and trombone. I always wanted to learn how to play the sax--there is something so soulful about it. My listening interests are eclectic. Our mutual colleague Robin Rossie teases me about my country music. What can I say, I enjoy a little twang! Currently I’m alternating between Johnny Cash and EARLY Rolling Stones with a little Sugar Coma on side. Ron Wright, Education

I do play an instrument—the accordion! I started playing a few years ago and love it! Don’t ask me to play a polka, I don’t like them. I play mostly Eastern European, Russian, and Jewish music. I like a lot of world music and recently have been listening to classical guitar and tango. Gregg Henderschiedt, Career Resource Center

I played the mandolin (classical) for about 10 years, took a long break, and picked up again when the director of one of the ensembles here at the School of Music asked me to play it. This past fall, I played with the University Symphony Orchestra at the UFPA in Respighi’s Roman Festivals for the brief mandolin part. I always wanted to play the cello; the cello professor here keeps offering to teach me, so one day it may actually happen. I listen to a lot of piano music, mostly Fazil Say, Alfred Brendel, Vladimir Horowitz, Daniel Barenboim, etc. I-Pod, car radio, and CD-player has pretty much all classical: Mozart, Haydn, Bach, Beethoven, and Vivaldi. Don’t mind some Jack Johnson, Lenny Kravitz, Sister Hazel, and Journey every so often. Mutlu Citim-Kepic, Fine Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment