Friday, May 21, 2010

Advisor Spotlight: Bobbi Knickerbocker, 2009-2010 UF Advisor of the Year

by Ella Tabares

Bobbie Knickerbocker, 2009-2010 UF Advisor of the Year

Congratulations to Bobbi Knickerbocker for being named the 2009-2010 UF Advisor of the Year! Bobbi has served as an academic advisor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences for over two years. In addition to serving as a pre-health advisor, she also advises biology students. Her past experiences in the nursing and counseling fields have provided her with a great framework from which to advise students, and her co-workers are grateful to have her on their team.

What advising activities take up most of your time? (i.e., What’s a ‘typical day’ like for you?)
Seeing biology majors and pre-health students consume a good portion of my day either via walk-ins or appointments, student e-mails, workshops, or other administrative duties.

What do you like most/least about your job?
I like advising students the most; there’s nothing about my job that I don’t enjoy!

What’s the best thing a student ever told you?
Students tell us so many things whether in a personal advising session or through other mediums. I place great value on the fact that students feel they are able to trust me with their personal stories. Along with other advisors, I read numerous personal statements for applications to professional graduate programs. In these, students share very personal information. Their ability to trust me with this information says a great deal. This is the best.

What did it mean to you to be named UF’s Advisor of the Year?
This was an incredible surprise and honor. For me, the greatest impact of this was a nomination made by a student. It means a great deal to know I had a positive impact on a student at UF. It is my hope and intention to be a positive presence for students even when the information I sometimes have to deliver is negative. I hope to project a desire to empower and support students in their goals and abilities and perhaps this reinforces that, for one student, this was successful.

What advice would you give a brand new advisor at UF?
Be patient with yourself and be open to the many ways and mechanisms you can grow as an advisor. Reflect to your students the personal qualities you wish your students to develop.

What advice do you give a brand new student at UF?
There are many changes you will encounter as a student here. These include both academic and personal changes and transitions. Breathe, think about the choices you are making so you understand the consequences, and use the numerous resources at your disposal. UF has so many resources for students, there is no reason to feel alone in this process or to make uninformed decisions.

Favorite TV show?
The Good Wife

What do you enjoy doing away from work?
Playing with grandkids, motorcycling, travel, cooking, gardening, and animals.

Husband/wife/partner? Kids? Dogs? Cats? Others?
Don (husband), Jen & JC with Liam and Livy, Chris & Mick with Quin, Toby (dog), Slip & Tux (cats)

What’s your secret for balancing your work and home lives?
Being an extreme introvert, I need quiet or what I call “cave time.” Also, I try to maintain healthy eating habits and a healthy lifestyle. Friends also help keep me balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment