Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Advisor Spotlight: Andrew Wehle, College of Design, Construction & Planning

by Jill Lingard

For 11 years, Andrew Wehle has worked in UF’s College of Design, Construction & Planning as the Director for Student Affairs. Prior to this position, he worked as a Resident Assistant, as well as performing administrative roles within UF’s Division of Housing. Andrew earned both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Arts degree in anthropology from UF. He is currently working on a joint Master’s/PhD in building construction with an emphasis on construction safety. When asked to explain this shift in focus, Andrew says his anthropology background provided him with insight, as well as research methods, to better understand human behavior. Human behavior is an important risk factor in regard to safety in the construction industry.

Describe the population of students you currently work with.

Undergraduate students in four programs: architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, and sustainability & the built environment.

What’s a typical day at work like for you?

My time is split between advising and administrative roles. I work closely with policy, curriculum, and administrative issues in our college, as well as course scheduling and catalog development. Of course, I also advise students and work do lots of advisement-related functions like petitions, tracking, and Preview. So my days usually involve a frenetic pace of student affairs activities, as is typical in a Dean’s Office. I may have to attend an advisory committee meeting, then see students in individual advising appointments, then run off to another policy meeting, or conduct a Preview session. As long as I have adequate support, I enjoy the fast pace and wide variety of tasks associated with my position.

What do you like most about your job?

I really enjoy the vibrant university environment. I could never picture myself sitting in a corporate cubicle doing the same thing every day. I thrive on the diversity of activities found on a university campus, and I am fortunate that I get to engage with people who value learning as much as I do. I continue to take courses at UF; additionally, I love that the university has provided me with international travel experiences through study abroad.

What do you like least about your job?


An Associate Dean once told me “Nobody here understands what you do!” I think this comment reflects an important issue that many professionals in the advisement field face every day. Our work is so important to the educational mission of the institution, yet it is often unrecognized. Quality advisement fosters a smooth running academic program. Unfortunately, this also makes it easy for people to take our work for granted. As advisors, it is important to raise the visibility of the quality and value of our work and of the positive impact of our profession.

What’s the best thing a student ever told you?

It always feels great when I’ve been able to help a student who REALLY needed it. I don’t mean signing a drop form or reading a degree audit. I’m talking about someone who was on the edge of leaving UF and giving up on their education altogether. They needed deep intervention—often involving the Counseling Center or help with a petition—and I helped them get the resources they needed to succeed.

What advice would you give a brand new advisor at UF?

Embrace the idea that you can really connect with and impact students at a deep level. Don’t let your job be just about interpreting the catalog.

What advice do you give a brand new student at UF?

Take advantage of your time here to explore what UF has to offer. Realize that your initial decision regarding your major was most likely made from a high school student’s perspective. UF has so much more to offer you educationally. For undecided students, it is often helpful to work the problem backwards. Start with where you’d like to see yourself in 20-30 years and then think about how you can get there. For most areas, there is not usually a one-to-one relationship between your college major and your career ( . . . except in the college I advise for ). Many academic and experiential paths at UF can lead to the same career fields.

What’s your secret for balancing your work and home lives?

I set boundaries on when I reply to non-emergency email inquiries—not after 5PM or on weekends. I also live with and commute to UF everyday with my girlfriend, who has a similar position to mine but in a different college. So we’re able to use our daily commute time to vent about work and be done with it.

What are you reading for fun right now?
I’m in the middle of three very different books right now: For fun: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro, for thinking: Fiasco by Thomas Ricks, and I am re-reading On the Road Again by Jack Kerouac. I am interested to see how Kerouac impacts me again 20 years later in life.

Do you have a favorite TV show?
Really mature shows, like Family Guy and The Simpsons : )

What might many of us in UF’s advising community be surprised to learn about you?

In my spare time, I really enjoy riding my Ninja motorcycle. Gainesville is a great place to live for that—both coasts are close and we’re surrounded by lots of scenic country roads.

1 comment:

  1. The line you mention when giving advice to a new UF student about having a "high school perspective" is great - thanks for sharing!

    -Ella Tabares, CLAS

    ReplyDelete